Loader
logo

Crash/Runtime error with Hotfix #2

Started by Carbonfiber, April 28, 2015, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
First off, I'm running a legal, up to date copy of Warband purchased on Steam.

So I just installed this mod the other day. Running Beta 7 Final on its own works fine (to an extent. Certain interactions cause random crashes, to the point that it's borderline unplayable).

However, whenever I use Hotfix #2, the game crashes shortly after creating a character during the initial text sequence. I've tried multiple downloads of the hotfix to ensure that I wasn't installing a corrupted archive, but I always get the same result.

Here's a pastebin link (http://pastebin.com/9uL9NR7e) with my rgl_log in hopes that someone can help me figure out what's going on. In several parts it states the game was unable to find or failed to load certain meshes or textures. I've checked the module folders and found them there, so I don't know why the game can't find them.

Welcome to the Forums! I'm not the technical person for this kind of problem but I'm sure Produno can more than likely figure out your issue.

Do you recall which or have screenshots of the interactions that cause crashes? I could bring that up on a bug report.

"AT-STs will no longer be deployed on planets with an abundance of trees or other known obstacles such as rock-wielding primitives."

April 28, 2015, 09:26:21 PM #2 Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:30:19 PM by Carbonfiber
Thanks!

When running Beta 7 Final alone (no hotfixes), the one crash I recall distinctly was selecting "walk through the streets" at Winterfell. The game immediately crashed upon clicking.

Quote from: Carbonfiber on April 28, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
When running Beta 7 Final alone (no hotfixes), the one crash I recall distinctly was selecting "walk through the streets" at Winterfell. The game immediately crashed upon clicking.

We're on Hotfix #2 now. I would assume this was fixed already.
"AT-STs will no longer be deployed on planets with an abundance of trees or other known obstacles such as rock-wielding primitives."

Hello mate.

It seems to me like your having memory issues. Winterfell is a big scene so takes alot to load.

Have you made sure you have load textures on demand turned to on? I have a fairly beefy pc and nvidia advise turning it off as a recommended setting for my graphics card. But unles i have it set on it will always crash for me too.

I shall be looking at extra ways to try optimise the mod where i can.

If your on steam im guessing your warband version is already upto date?

Thanks, Produno, for responding so quickly. Seems like you are very involved with receiving feedback from the community and that's great to see. From what I've been able to play, this is an incredibly ambitious and impressive undertaking. As a fan of ASOIAF and really appreciate your thoroughness.

Activating "load textures on demand" seems to have solved the problem. I'm at least able to load into the first scene after character creation. I'll keep testing and see if I run into any other errors/crashes.

Like you, I'm surprised I even needed to use that setting since I've got a high-end PC with 16 GB of memory.

And yes, Steam keeps Warband automatically up to date.

Yeah, i have an i7 with 16gb ram and a oc gtx680, yet i still need to activate that option.

I think its something i shall need to look into in the future, though im unsure if its since the latest warband patch or my own. I haven't tested other than with my own mod.

I do try and support the community as much as i can, in the hope they will support me back :).

Sadly there is nothing you'll be able to do about that Produno. I've looked into it before and from what I have found out it is actually a limitation with the engine itself. No matter how much ram you have the most that M&B will use is just under 5gbs. From what I can tell when a mod gets over the threshold of a gig in size loading textures on demand becomes a necessity. Don't know if TaleWorlds plans on fixing that, though I doubt it. May just have to wait for Bannerlord for better optimization.

April 30, 2015, 02:24:52 AM #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:49:52 AM by Carbonfiber
This is an issue I've noticed with lots of games. The engines were simply never designed with the expectation that memory usage would go beyond a certain point even though current hardware can probably handle it.

Kerbal Space Program has this problem if you run too many mods. People have managed to (artificially) raise the limit by compressing textures so as to take up less memory. Perhaps something similar could be done with M&B?

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview