Loader
logo

What are the racial benefits?

Started by Forrester, September 28, 2017, 11:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was just wondering what the difference is between choosing whatever race you are when you start the game.

From what I've gathered,  being born in the North lets you have a dire-wolf, and a giant if you are free folk.

So does being any other races effect stats and attributes at all?

The main thing it affects is your culture when you start your own faction, so Free Folk = wildlings from any villages you capture and so on. The only one I'm still unsure on is the Essos based one, as I've only just started a save with this starting culture. Free folk & north also get cool companions but that's it right now.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

Greatest benefit (apart from companions) is that you have access to the faction blacksmith... which is nice unless you use morghs to get everything you want :D

There's so much cool stuff in this mod and a lot of us are going around completely blind. I've been thinking of compiling a guide for facilitation purposes.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quote from: Montblanc on September 29, 2017, 08:38:26 PM
There's so much cool stuff in this mod and a lot of us are going around completely blind. I've been thinking of compiling a guide for facilitation purposes.

You would be better to ask for WIKI editing rights and do it on there.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

hmm, if Produno is ok, will ask once I've compiled all the info I want to put in the guide. If not, I'll content myself with a simple "mod spoilers" thread.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on September 28, 2017, 11:59:52 PM
The main thing it affects is your culture when you start your own faction, so Free Folk = wildlings from any villages you capture and so on. The only one I'm still unsure on is the Essos based one, as I've only just started a save with this starting culture. Free folk & north also get cool companions but that's it right now.

UPDATE : I strongly dislike the Essos troop tree.

So, do wildlings and north have bad troops? They get special companions, seems unfair to give them that, good items, and good troops. Troops and items being far less important as well, because anyone can get armies of any troops, or buy/loot any gear.

So I guess instead the question is why do those two races get special bonuses, while no one else does? Are other racial bonuses going to be added to balance those? Or are wildling and north just the obvious best choices, as we can probably change culture afterwards to get other troops, but need to start as those to get special companions.

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on October 02, 2017, 07:14:25 PM

If only it was Volantine, Tiger Cloaks have excellent archers and good infantry, and the cavalry isn't half-assed either.

Quote from: Montblanc on October 03, 2017, 08:21:32 AM
Quote from: H3YimDR3W on October 02, 2017, 07:14:25 PM

If only it was Volantine, Tiger Cloaks have excellent archers and good infantry, and the cavalry isn't half-assed either.

Definitely!

I dont think that the dire wolf is a great benefit. He has the speed of a lame horse and gets taken down very easy...

Quote from: Badg3r21 on October 03, 2017, 04:41:03 PM
I dont think that the dire wolf is a great benefit. He has the speed of a lame horse and gets taken down very easy...

I agree, Dire Wolf isn't great. Needs a buff to be as strong as the giants at least.

Its still something only they can get and then change cultures to get whatever troops they want, giving them an advantage, however minor, over other races. I just figure if some races get some bonus thing, the others should as well. Games singleplayer, so its not like it harms balance, mostly just seems strange to give two races racial bonus companion(s), one immunity to morale penalty over the sea, and  the rest, far as i can tell, nothing. Just my two cents on the matter.

Quote from: Weizen1988 on October 03, 2017, 11:38:44 PM
Its still something only they can get and then change cultures to get whatever troops they want, giving them an advantage, however minor, over other races. I just figure if some races get some bonus thing, the others should as well. Games singleplayer, so its not like it harms balance, mostly just seems strange to give two races racial bonus companion(s), one immunity to morale penalty over the sea, and  the rest, far as i can tell, nothing. Just my two cents on the matter.

I agree to am extent, that everyone should have something. But!

Free Folk & North have the weakest troop trees overall (in my opinion) and so rely on companions a lot more than other cultures. (Except Essos, I still think this troop tree needs a serious boost or changing to Volantis culture instead.)

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview