Loader
logo

Are the Merc companies worth the price? [Mod spoilers]

Started by H3YimDR3W, September 29, 2017, 12:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windblown, 75,000 stags. Stormcloak 100,000 stags. Second Sons, 120,000 stags. Are they worth the cost?

Yes
No
No idea what you're on about?!
Only near end of game.
Only early in the game.
Thought I would drop a quick poll here, please be sure to comment below if you want to go into more detail!

Personally I think they're a great asset if hired around day 300 when I'm usually asserted into a decent portion of westeros, I like using them more as patrols (via master of law) as the Veteran Freeriders can be quite strong versus bandits, free folk & anything else without cavalry! They're a great defensive asset for sure. I've never tried to use them offensively as a whole group.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

I've come across them in my game. I've also come across the Moon Brother (they cost 50K for 203 Hill Tribesman iirc).

I haven't hired any of them yet, do they have a maintenance cost?

Isn't the Golden Company also available for hire? At least in 1.3 it was if you got them before the invasion started. Either way, I've never made it far enough that I could hire them, or would need them. Perhaps in my current playthrough I'll get to hire some of them. I remember reading that The Tattered Prince for example becomes your companion if you hire The Windblown, 75k is expensive for a companion but he's supposed to come at level 46.

I'm going to guess that they could be useful especially after you start your own kingdom, I can see many uses for the merceneray companies in that case.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quote from: Montblanc on September 29, 2017, 08:23:31 PM
Isn't the Golden Company also available for hire? At least in 1.3 it was if you got them before the invasion started. Either way, I've never made it far enough that I could hire them, or would need them. Perhaps in my current playthrough I'll get to hire some of them. I remember reading that The Tattered Prince for example becomes your companion if you hire The Windblown, 75k is expensive for a companion but he's supposed to come at level 46.

I'm going to guess that they could be useful especially after you start your own kingdom, I can see many uses for the merceneray companies in that case.

Golden Company is not available  :'( they're "in theory" with Dany / Aerys when they invade Westeros.
None of the leaders of the mercenary groups actually become your companion but the Tattered Prince & Ulf are able to lead patrols and are much stronger than regular units.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on September 29, 2017, 12:25:35 AM
Thought I would drop a quick poll here, please be sure to comment below if you want to go into more detail!

Personally I think they're a great asset if hired around day 300 when I'm usually asserted into a decent portion of westeros, I like using them more as patrols (via master of law) as the Veteran Freeriders can be quite strong versus bandits, free folk & anything else without cavalry! They're a great defensive asset for sure. I've never tried to use them offensively as a whole group.
Where can you find all the mer companies? I found the Tattered prince but I set him as a patrol and he got killed by Dany :(. Where are the other companies?

Quote from: Artorias on October 02, 2017, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: H3YimDR3W on September 29, 2017, 12:25:35 AM

Where can you find all the mer companies? I found the Tattered prince but I set him as a patrol and he got killed by Dany :(. Where are the other companies?

The other two roam around Essos, at start of game they're near Myr & Volantis.

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on September 29, 2017, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: Montblanc on September 29, 2017, 08:23:31 PM

Golden Company is not available  :'( they're "in theory" with Dany / Aerys when they invade Westeros.
None of the leaders of the mercenary groups actually become your companion but the Tattered Prince & Ulf are able to lead patrols and are much stronger than regular units.

Ah so they're like those sellsword captain units you find sometimes? I think there are some other rogue bandits like that mostly on Essos, but I killed one by accident when our parties crossed paths. I'm asking this about the GC because when I played in 1.3 I found Mero roaming through some ins in Essos and he offered their services but the amount of silver was absurd like 150k or higher just to hire. Or maybe that was the Second Sons.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview