Loader
logo

Number of tools needed for the castle-finding quest

Started by tos1, February 16, 2024, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
(Spoiler)
In the quest to find an abandoned castle requested from Ser Janis Lyren, one of the things the player need is "tool". Both the "tools" mentioned by the requester and the "some tools" in the quest description are plural, but in the game, just one tool is enough.

Since the number is unknown from the requester's words and the quest description, players must purchase some (at least two?) but it ends up in vain. It looks like you need to change the actual needed number of tool to more than one, or to modify both the requester's sentence and the quest description.

---- Requester's sentences
dlga_ruined_quest_choice_yes:ruined_quest_choice_yes1_new
Well, here's the thing, all I know is it's near Essos. Oh, and it's in ruins, did I forget to mention that part? Anyhow we will need tools, at least 50 men and possibly around 10k stags. It's a lot to ask I know. But if we do find it, then you have a castle for yourself and I can rest knowing I have fulfilled my fathers dream.
---- quest description
qstr_Ser_Janis_Lyren_has_a
Ser Janis Lyren has asked you to help find his ancestral home somewhere in or around Essos. He says you will need some tools, at least 50 men and 10,000 silver stags to rebuild it. Be wary of slavers and pirates near to the castle.
----

In addition, the similar line in the quests.csv (quests.txt) below seems not to be used. I don't know for what it is but it can become a potential bug.

---- A line in the quests.csv. When is this used?
qst_old_valyria_text
Ser Janis Lyren has asked you to help find his ancestral home in Essos. He says you will need some tools, at least 50 men and 10,000 silver stags to rebuild it.
----

- How to reproduce it/when/why it happens:
(Spoiler)
Meet Ser Janis Lyren at a certain place, accept the quest, prepare 2 or 3 tools, find the castle, save the game here. Abandon some tools so that you have 0, 1, 2, or 3 tools and enter the found castle. Compare result of the cases and know how many tools are needed.

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v9.1, Warband v1.174 downloaded

Related topic:
(v8.2) Qarthigar (castle) and Taelon (village) are listed but have no building by me

In English, you wouldn't say i need 'a tool' unless its a very specific tool, which in this case its not, as the game just describes them as tools (Not any specific type of tool).

I understand from your explanation that the plural is intentional. While the number of soldiers and amount of money to prepare is completely specified, the number of tools is not specified, so as mentioned above, the player unnecessarily spends in-game time and real time to collect multiple tools. I posted this because I thought it was unreasonable.

I encountered Ser Janis Lyren in my first play through and declined his quests since I didn't plan to spend time in Essos, but in later play through he didn't deign to show up anymore. Maybe bad odds of being in the same tavern as him, but statistics and reason say I should have encountered him again, so I'm not sure if my first declining him removed him for good and subsequent games :C

On the issue of not specified numbers of tools and materials, is there any place where the material costs for ship building is listed? The shipwright's text is leaving me at complete guess.

Quote from: rumpelstilzz on February 27, 2024, 03:17:59 PMOn the issue of not specified numbers of tools and materials, is there any place where the material costs for ship building is listed? The shipwright's text is leaving me at complete guess.

Produno, I would also like to know about the numbers for building a ship.

Quote from: rumpelstilzz on February 27, 2024, 03:17:59 PMI encountered Ser Janis Lyren in my first play through and declined his quests since I didn't plan to spend time in Essos, but in later play through he didn't deign to show up anymore. Maybe bad odds of being in the same tavern as him, but statistics and reason say I should have encountered him again, so I'm not sure if my first declining him removed him for good and subsequent games :C

----
rumpelstilzz, For unrelated topics or multiple topics, I recommend writing them one by one in a new topic (with a title that makes it easy to understand the content at a glance). Otherwise, not only it's hard that the topic ends and the poster won't be able to mark the title as fixed or the developer to lock it, but also it will be difficult for developers, posters, and other readers to search/read/reply. :)

(The topic like Gift: ... that I sent the other day is one of exceptions. I wrote to point out multiple issues at once, but was limiting to a scene of asking a gift to send.)
----

Regarding Ser Janis Lyren, AFAIK, he has never disappeared by refusing his quest, but as we play this mod, we will occasionally have the opportunity to make decisive choices that cannot be reversed. One of those cases is choosing whether to go north first if you start in Westeros, and there are several other cases as well AFAIK.

So, it would be no surprise (at least for me) if they created the MOD so that Ser Lyren will disappear after several days if we decline his invitation. I'm enjoying as one of puzzles.

In a sense, the choice of gender, trait, etc. at starting a new game are also irreversible decisions. Thanks to these irreversible choices, the player character can live a different life and have new experiences every time we start a new game. I think that is one of the greatest aspect of this mod (at least for me).

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview