Loader
logo

Goal of the Always Winter quest

Started by tos1, February 03, 2024, 09:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Near the end of the quests in the northern region, after the player accept the request from Jeor to scout the Land of Always Winter, the purpose of the scout is not written in the quest description.
----
qstr_You_must_gather_a_sm
You must gather a small force and possibly a Valyrian weapon and scout the lands of always winter. Return to the Lord Commander to relay your findings.
----

Many players may be likely to get lost (like me). It would be okay while the player remember the series of conversations with Jeor Mormont, but the player will forget it after a while between plays. In reality, the quest is completed when the player character meet a group of White Walkers, so it seems like the quest description needs additional information that includes Jeor's words like "the bigger threat than Wildings" or more direct "White Walkers".

Jeor's words just before the player accepts "The Lands of Always Winter" quest:

---- Jeor
dlga_lord_10_btb_quest:lord_10_btb_quest1
Well, this is most unfortunate. I fear we will not last long if the Wildings decide to attack our walls and I have heard rumours of an even bigger threat stirring in the depths of the far north.
---- Jeor
dlga_lord_10_btb_quest1:lord_10_btb_quest2|I'm afraid it's up to you now {playername}. I shall need you to gather a small army and scout the lands of always winter and see what truth these rumours hold.
---- Jeor
dlga_lord_10_btb_quest2:lord_10_btb_quest3|Jon Snow will accompany you. He holds a Valyrian weapon and if the rumours are indeed true then mere mortal weapons will be useless against these creatures. He knows the lands north of the wall better than anyone and he can vouch for anything you witness whilst out there.
----

As you see, the words "White Walkers" is not spoken here though it was spoken by both the player character and Jeor in the preceding quests. Not all players may remember it when she/he accepts the Always Winter quest. Especially if she/he saw the words and then resume playing again a week or so later.

- How to reproduce it/when/why it happens:
Start a new game from Westeros, accept the first quest to the North, complete all preceding quests and accept the scout quest from Jeor Mormont, use Q key to read the description of the quest "The Lands of Always Winter".

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v9.1, v8.2, v8.1, v7.11. Warband v1.174 downloaded