Loader
logo

Yoren explains blunt weapons when asked how he come to join the Watch

Started by tos1, January 02, 2024, 03:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
When the player character ask Yoren "How did you come to join ...", Yoren must answer "I was young, saw my ..." and the player char "You knew who ..." but Yoren explains about blunt weapons instead and the "I was young, saw my ..." is skipped.

---- Player
dlga_ramun_talk:ramun_ask_about_capturing|How did you come to join the Night's Watch?
---- Yoren
dlga_ramun_ask_about_capturing:ramun_have_blunt_weapon|New to this, aren't ya? Lemme explain it in simple terms. The basic rule of takin' someone prisoner is knockin' 'em down with a blunt weapon, like a mace or a club, rather than cuttin' 'em open with a sword. That way 'em go to sleep for a little while rather than bleeding to death, ya see? I'm assumin' ya've a blunt weapon with ya, {lad/lassie}.
---- Player
dlga_ramun_have_blunt_weapon:ramun_have_blunt_weapon_yes|Of course.
dlga_ramun_have_blunt_weapon:ramun_have_blunt_weapon_no|As a matter of fact, I don't.
---- Yoren
dlga_ramun_have_blunt_weapon_no:ramun_have_blunt_weapon_no_2|No? Heh, well, this must be ya lucky day, {lad/lassie}. I've got an old club here ya can use. It's a bit battered, but still good enough to bludgeon someone until he stops movin'. Here, take it.
---- Player
dlga_ramun_have_blunt_weapon_no_2:ramun_have_blunt_weapon_yes|Thanks, Yoren. Perhaps I may try my hand at it.
---- Yoren
dlga_ramun_have_blunt_weapon_yes:ramun_ask_about_capturing_2|Good. Then all ya need to do is beat those bastards down with ya weapon, and when the fightin's over ya clamp 'em in irons. It's a bit different for nobles and such, 'em tend to be protected enough that it won't matter what kind of weapon ya use, but ya average rabble-rousers will bleed like a stuck pig if ya get 'em with somethin' sharp, and a dead rabble-rouser is no good to anyone.
---- Player
dlga_ramun_ask_about_capturing_2:ramun_ask_about_capturing_3|You knew who it was?
----

- How to reproduce it/when/why it happens:
Meet Yoren for the first time when the player character hasn't met him yet, select "How did you come to join the Night's Watch?" from the choices. Yoren begins explanation about blunt weapons instead of "I was young, saw my ...". After the player character answered whether having such weapon, Yoren's "I was young, saw my ..." is omitted, and the player char ask him "You knew who it was?".

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v9.1 Warband v1.174 downloaded

I hand-disassembled the v9.3's *.txt and found out the cause.

---- Yoren's answer-A (mistakenly displayed when the player asked "How did you come to join ...")
dlga_ramun_ask_about_capturing:ramun_have_blunt_weapon
New to this, aren't ya? Lemme explain it in simple terms. The basic rule of takin' someone prisoner is knockin' 'em down with a blunt weapon, like a mace or a club, rather than cuttin' 'em open with a sword. That way 'em go to sleep for a little while rather than bleeding to death, ya see? I'm assumin' ya've a blunt weapon with ya, {lad/lassie}.
---- Yoren's answer-B (The correct answer)
dlga_ramun_ask_about_capturing:ramun_ask_about_capturing_2
I was young, saw my brother stabbed through the heart right on our doorstep. Weren't much of a villain, the man who stabbed him.
----

As far as I checked, The Starting-dialog-state (2nd parameter in each dialog record) of the answer-B is same with of the answer-A, and the answer-A's condition is true, so the "New to this, ..." would be mistakenly displayed when the player selected "How did you come to join the Night's Watch?".

Both of them are not the player's choice but Yoren's answer, so the line "I was young, ..." will not be displayed unless you change the condition-block of each and add something new appropriate condition for them.

Furthermore, as mentioned above, after Yoren explains the blunt weapon, the conversation continues from the line where the player says "You knew who it was?". It would be correct flow if the answer-A is replaced with the answer-B

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v9.3, 9.1. Warband v1.174 downloaded

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview