Loader
logo

Best Troops

Started by Ser Blackflame, September 29, 2017, 04:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
What faction do yall think has the best overall units i believe the vale has the best cav but I dont know who has the best infantry?

There is no one best, everyone has their own specialties (in my opinion)
Lys&Riverlands archers are insanely good. As are Westerlands crossbowmen.
Reach & Vale both have very good cavalry as does crown lands (after Targ invasion)
The only reliable infantry I've found for withstanding a horse charge is Unsullied.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

Imo, after inspecting the troop tree in the camp menu, and some no-faction units you have to discover through exploring the mod, I came to this conclusion:

Infantry: Unsullied (double as spearmen), Stormlands House Guard (equipped with maces for shield penetration), Northern House Guards (same as Stormlands but with axes), Sworn Sword (greatswords, no shield)

Spearmen: Northern Spearmen, Unsullied

Crossbowmen: Westerlands Arbalester (crossbow, sword and shield)

Archers: Night's Watch Veteran Elite Ranger (longbows and greatswords), Tiger Cloak Elite Archer (longbows and swords, cheaper than Night's Watch top ranger unit)

Skirmisher: Ironborn Finger Dancer (axes, shields and throwing axes)

Horse Archers: Fireborn (best archery proficiency, evolve from Red Priests), Sand Cavalry (bows, scimitar and shield), Dothraki Horselord (bows and arakh)

Cavalry: Vale Knight of the Gate (shield and greatsword, overal strongest cavalry), Mercenary Heavy Cavalry (sword, shield and lance, great vs any ground and other cavalry)

These are my favourites so far, I'm sure there are other great units, the Targaryens seem to have a pretty good cavalry too, you can use Dragon Knights instead of Vale KotG, and the units before Dragon Knight, the Crownlands Lancer instead of Mercenary Heavy Cavalry.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

After doing a wildlings playthrough I must admit these troops are very good unless you come up against a very heavy cavalry army... The final tier Wilding Raiders & Thenn Skilled Champions are awesome, just a shame that you need mercenary cavalry for it to be an efficient army.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

When you play as wildling do you tend to recruit from non-faction parties such as northern clansmen or are you more pragmatical, less role player? The funny thing about some of these troops is, in terms of proficiency the northern clansmen troops really justify their high wage, same cannot be said for robber or exiled knights by comparison to regular faction troops, but they all come with shitty equipment. I mean even though it counts as a polearm, the hardened northern clansman, with all his skill, won't be much of a threat vs heavy cavalry of any type.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quote from: Montblanc on October 02, 2017, 06:52:32 PM
When you play as wildling do you tend to recruit from non-faction parties such as northern clansmen or are you more pragmatical, less role player? The funny thing about some of these troops is, in terms of proficiency the northern clansmen troops really justify their high wage, same cannot be said for robber or exiled knights by comparison to regular faction troops, but they all come with shitty equipment. I mean even though it counts as a polearm, the hardened northern clansman, with all his skill, won't be much of a threat vs heavy cavalry of any type.

I only recruit my culture & mercenaries/non-faction. So veteran Freeriders, etc.

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on October 02, 2017, 07:12:20 PM
Quote from: Montblanc on October 02, 2017, 06:52:32 PM

I only recruit my culture & mercenaries/non-faction. So veteran Freeriders, etc.

I'm a hell lot more practical, always chase after the best, though there are some niche units I like to use heavily, mostly elite archer troops and heavy cavalry with spears. But when I get to become king on my own do prefer keeping it simple like what you described.

Btw, can confirm, after obtaining one for myself, that those Fireborn horse archers come equipped with warbows. They're so damn effective, I only had 3 and they always bagged a lot in any fight, recently lost 1 during a siege but I'll try to hunt down some banditry in Essos to get more of those. They are glass cannons with only the red priest robe and crappy sandals for armor but using them as backline snipers works perfectly for me.

Quote from: Montblanc on September 29, 2017, 08:57:27 PM
Imo, after inspecting the troop tree in the camp menu, and some no-faction units you have to discover through exploring the mod, I came to this conclusion:

Infantry: Unsullied (double as spearmen), Stormlands House Guard (equipped with maces for shield penetration), Northern House Guards (same as Stormlands but with axes), Sworn Sword (greatswords, no shield)

Spearmen: Northern Spearmen, Unsullied

Crossbowmen: Westerlands Arbalester (crossbow, sword and shield)

Archers: Night's Watch Veteran Elite Ranger (longbows and greatswords), Tiger Cloak Elite Archer (longbows and swords, cheaper than Night's Watch top ranger unit)

Skirmisher: Ironborn Finger Dancer (axes, shields and throwing axes)

Horse Archers: Fireborn (best archery proficiency, evolve from Red Priests), Sand Cavalry (bows, scimitar and shield), Dothraki Horselord (bows and arakh)

Cavalry: Vale Knight of the Gate (shield and greatsword, overal strongest cavalry), Mercenary Heavy Cavalry (sword, shield and lance, great vs any ground and other cavalry)

These are my favourites so far, I'm sure there are other great units, the Targaryens seem to have a pretty good cavalry too, you can use Dragon Knights instead of Vale KotG, and the units before Dragon Knight, the Crownlands Lancer instead of Mercenary Heavy Cavalry.
Fireborn? where you find them?
Stormland and Red Cloak knights are also great along with reach knights.
Reach cavalry is cheapest as far as i remember. You can have mounted sergents with upgrade cost of 256s, which is pretty reasonable for medium cavalray.
Tip: Do not sell knights of Westerland,Reach,Vale,Stormland etc.. Recruit them and its worth losing 9 or 12 morale then horrible upgrade cost all the way to top tier and the time required.

Fireborns evolves fom Red Priests
Valar issi Targaryen.

riverlands archers are amazing as well

tigercloak arent too impressive

Fireborn being the last tier of Red Priest unit are found in Essos, usually you can't recruit them so you'll have to either: chase bandits in Essos who might have some as prisoners, or attack their parties in mainland Essos and sometimes also sailing the coastline. Attacking them will cause your relationship with R'hllor followers bad, and if you plan on becoming monarch it's unwise to provoke the faiths.

Red Cloaks are strong, as are the Vale Knights, but they're not necessarily the best options unless you can employ large numbers of cavalry permanently. The reason for that line of thinking is that they're wages are really high, and also because against other cavalry having cavalry units that employ polearms is a deciding factor since a well put couched lance is an insta death strike.

Indo95, to me they're great, the Tiger Cloaks, their defense is indeed a bit low, but they're cheap on the wages and are very good at killing. You should employ a good shieldwall formation of infantry or spearmen (better if it's heavy) so they're not vulnerable to pincer attacks.

My favorite combination is:

Infantry/Spearman: Stark Spearman, Veteran Unsulied, Stark House Guards, Giants, Veteran Gold Cloaks, Hedge Knights

Archers: Faceless Man, Elite Night's Watch Archers, Elite Tiger Cloak Archers

Horse Archers: Fireborns, Sand Cavalry

Skirmishers: Kraken Guards, Spies

Cavalry: Red Cloaks, Knights of the Gate, Stark Cavalry, most of my companions after some time...

As for Fireborns I allways get them from bandits or from Dothraki/Volantine castles/towns allways as prisoners... I hold them in some feft until I got a reasonable amount of them, only then I bring them to the battles.
Valar issi Targaryen.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview