Loader
logo

(Dubious) Gender judgment in player's choice

Started by tos1, October 08, 2022, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 08, 2022, 07:29:34 PM Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:19:12 PM by tos1
I believe each of the IDs str_xxxxx_kingsupport_2b in the strings.txt (or translated game_strings.csv) means one of the choice between two that the player should select (i.e. the player character speaks the words). Actually the "...2a" and "...2b" seem to be the player's choice at a conversation with most companions.

However each of the lines below has a gender judgment "{mmmm/ffff}" in it. I guess the "my lord" is displayed when player character is male even if the companion is female.

----
str_kai_kingsupport_2b
I am sorry {my lord/my lady}, but this I feel this is not right.
----
str_reed_kingsupport_2b
str_obara_kingsupport_2b
str_nymeria_kingsupport_2b
str_tyrene_kingsupport_2b
str_brog_kingsupport_2b
str_event_kingsupport_2b
I am sorry {my lord\/my lady}, but I feel this is not right.
----
str_kurleket_kingsupport_2b
I am sorry {my lord/my lady}, but I feel this is just not right.
----
str_son_kingsupport_2b
I am sorry {father/mother}, but I feel this is not right.
----
str_daughter_kingsupport_2b
I am sorry {father/mother}, but I feel this is not right.
----

I have not reproduced the situation but just compared lines in the text file. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v8.1, Warband v1.167 downloaded

(Edited to add "brog", "event", and "kurleket")
(Edited to add "son" and "daughter")

Thank you for the reply and the excellent MOD.

Quote from: Produno on October 15, 2022, 03:54:49 PMI am pretty sure this is a reply to the player.

I've just tested the conversation with Kurleket today. It is a choice of the player as I anticipated (attached).

(I've not tested a female player character, but probably the "my lord" would be replaced with "my lady")

- How to reproduce it/when/why it happens:
Employ one of them, Open the party member list, Select "Talk", "I'd like to ask you something.", and "I suppose you know that I aspire to be {reg59?Queen:King} of this land?".

- Game version (and steam or downloaded):
AWoIaF v8.1, Warband v1.167 downloaded

February 20, 2023, 05:48:48 PM #4 Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:01:56 AM by tos1
Additional information. I tested a male player character + Princess Khiarai. The player char mistakenly says to her "my lord" in choices (image attached). The str_xxxxx_kingsupport_2b listed above shouldn't include any gender check for player char.

----------
Edited to add on Mar 11 2023 UTC.

In addition to the above, there are many inconsistencies in the series of conversations with companions regarding whether to support the throne, so I recommend you check them all again.

In my case, I am extracting all lines containing "kingsupport" from game_strings.csv (stnigs.txt) and sorting them. Doing so, I can get a sequence of conversation with each companion like:
str_xxxx_kingsupport_1
str_xxxx_kingsupport_2
str_xxxx_kingsupport_2a
str_xxxx_kingsupport_2b
str_xxxx_kingsupport_3
str_xxxx_kingsupport_objection

The lines of objection are not significant for this topic.

The outline of the correct timeline should be:
(1) Using the party window, the player asks the companion whether she/he knows the player character is aspiring to the throne. (2) The companion answers affirmatively using kingsupport_1. (3) The player asks the companion if they stand by the player. (4) Using kingsupport_2 she/he expresses to support and adds conditions for that. (5) The player has two choices; accepts the conditions and asks for a more concrete plan using kingsupport_2a, or ends the conversation without accepting the conditions using kingsupport_2b. (6) When asked for a concrete plan, the companion suggests that leaving the party and she/he goes somewhere else using kingsupport_3. (7) The player has two options: allows or doesn't allow her/him to leave the party temporally.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview