Loader
logo

Tales of Playersettlement: bragging and expectations.

Started by Moose, October 31, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Greetings, goodfolk of AWOIAF forums!

The 'sceners guild' section is almost empty and forums are half-asleep. So, I thought I could liven up them with my plans and bragging.

I am currently working on the scenes for the player's settlement - a quite handy feature, that allows you to have our own fort, even in the middle of your enemies' lands. The settlement has 4,5 levels of it's construction, every one of which adds new advantages for the player. I am going to remind/explain how each of them are different, because why not. I originally created this for myself, which made scening much easier, as opposed to drawing plans on paper or making scenes with no plans at all, but then decided to tease you with it. The maps are very rough demonstration of the planned buildings, some aspects may change.

Level 1. The first level of the settlement is merely a glorified fortified camp. It gives the player ability to garrison 50 soldiers, rest with them. Building takes 6 hours and a few thousands of stags. The only staff member is your loyal captain. Defence advantages are very minor, but better than an open field. Which is a significant advantage against a dothraki horde.
Commander's tent is built upon a small hill, while most soldiers camp on lower ground.

Level 2. The fortified structure that is the second level is provided with a palisade. The palisade isn't truly a wall (which troops can't stand upon), but it helps you narrow enemy forces and gives protection against archers. A moat is dug around the palisade. Hosts 50 soldiers

The player gets his very own house built atop of the hill, where he can rest and store loot. A priest of chosen faith can give you advice in religious matters. The tavern is built in the settlement, where soldiers go to relax.

Level 3. The palisade turns into a wall, which now can be properly stood upon. This allows you to rain arrows on enemy soldiers, while infantry holds the gates. The additional space allows you to garrison 120 soldiers. Man at arms, an old soldier, can now be hired to train your recruits. A prostitute can be hired in the tavern to diminish the awareness of your troops. A bard to entertain you and a healer can be hired for your house.

All this good stuff can be built for 5 items of timber, 5 packs of tools and 5000 of silver stags.

Level 4. Now this is a real fortress! The wooden gatehouse and a bridge over a moat narrows attackers even further, while rotation of walls allows archers to shoot at enemies much easier. Towers support the corners of the walls. Soldiers now have proper barracks and training site for them which allows you to garrison 250 units. Armourer and a weapon smith are hired to help you sell and buy equipment.

Player's house gets extended with a tower. Food supply of the fortress gets improved, which allows you to hire a cook and hold feasts at your residence! This is the final stage, so defender advantages are maximized. 

All this costs 5 more batches of timber, 5 packs of tools and 10k of silver stags. Construction takes 2 weeks. There is also a transition scene between lvl 3 and lvl 4, where you can see how the improvements are being built.

Most of these features were already there, my job is to make them look good in the scene. This design was inspired by amazing quest of Kingdom of Amalur, where player gets to rebuild a ruined castle.
Thank you for reading all of this! If you have critique or suggestions to include something in the scenes, I will be happy to hear your opinion and answer the questions you have.

Best regards, Moose.

Wow, this is nice. If you have any requests regarding the features then make sure you let me know. Prices and materials can all be changed depending on the scene being built. Maybe its much larger so should require more resources or longer to build.

Hah, thanks. I mostly planned this with keeping current prices in mind.  :)

The only thing I wanted to report, is that passages don't work.  There are no passages from the outside (at least in old scene, maybe it works like castles, havent experimented yet) and the passage from inside player's house leads you nowhere. If you click it, it does nothing. And after you 'tab' out the scene, it asks you about demolishing the settlement.

This looks beautiful, do you have the files ready to import, or are you still working on them?
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Oh well, still some legendary improvement you got your sights on Moose, gl with the project.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Will this count as a fief like the castle you can find/rebuild making us start a faction or is it just like the player camp fortifications?

Looks great btw, can't wait until its in the mod :)

Is this still going on or has it been abandoned? It would have been incredible to see this implemented in the mod
Almost 100 New Game of Thrones Banners for Mount & Blade Warband created by me: http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?topic=35286.0

Quote from: kokemen on December 28, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
Is this still going on or has it been abandoned? It would have been incredible to see this implemented in the mod

I have not heard from Moose for a while so im not sure if he progressed with this or not. The new props by Adorno I have just put in the mod would be perfect for this though.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview