Loader
logo

Best Troops

Started by Ser Blackflame, September 29, 2017, 04:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
My favorite combination is:

Infantry/Spearman: Stark Spearman, Veteran Unsulied, Stark House Guards, Giants, Veteran Gold Cloaks, Hedge Knights

Archers: Faceless Man, Elite Night's Watch Archers, Elite Tiger Cloak Archers

Horse Archers: Fireborns, Sand Cavalry

Skirmishers: Kraken Guards, Spies

Cavalry: Red Cloaks, Knights of the Gate, Stark Cavalry, most of my companions after some time...

As for Fireborns I allways get them from bandits or from Dothraki/Volantine castles/towns allways as prisoners... I hold them in some feft until I got a reasonable amount of them, only then I bring them to the battles.
Valar issi Targaryen.

Quote from: Montblanc on February 04, 2018, 09:02:32 PM
Fireborn being the last tier of Red Priest unit are found in Essos, usually you can't recruit them so you'll have to either: chase bandits in Essos who might have some as prisoners, or attack their parties in mainland Essos and sometimes also sailing the coastline. Attacking them will cause your relationship with R'hllor followers bad, and if you plan on becoming monarch it's unwise to provoke the faiths.

Red Cloaks are strong, as are the Vale Knights, but they're not necessarily the best options unless you can employ large numbers of cavalry permanently. The reason for that line of thinking is that they're wages are really high, and also because against other cavalry having cavalry units that employ polearms is a deciding factor since a well put couched lance is an insta death strike.

Indo95, to me they're great, the Tiger Cloaks, their defense is indeed a bit low, but they're cheap on the wages and are very good at killing. You should employ a good shieldwall formation of infantry or spearmen (better if it's heavy) so they're not vulnerable to pincer attacks.
Can you explain the consequences of provoking faiths as a monarch???

My favorite combo is an a 200 man army of mostly Vale cavalry mixed in with some red cloak knights and Reach sworn swords :D

But of course northern infantry, Unsullied, and Vale units make good infantry

And for archers of course I try to train up Riverlands rangers mixed in with some Westerlands arbalesters, of course.

Quote from: Indo95 on February 07, 2018, 02:04:38 PM
My favorite combo is an a 200 man army of mostly Vale cavalry mixed in with some red cloak knights and Reach sworn swords :D

But of course northern infantry, Unsullied, and Vale units make good infantry

And for archers of course I try to train up Riverlands rangers mixed in with some Westerlands arbalesters, of course.
Reach longbowmen are cheap and good enough. Dragonstone archers aren't bad when compared to price.

Quote from: meldragon on February 05, 2018, 06:19:06 PM

Infantry/Spearman: Stark Spearman, Veteran Unsulied, Stark House Guards, Giants, Veteran Gold Cloaks, Hedge Knights

Cavalry: Red Cloaks, Knights of the Gate, Stark Cavalry, most of my companions after some time...

As for Fireborns I allways get them from bandits or from Dothraki/Volantine castles/towns allways as prisoners... I hold them in some feft until I got a reasonable amount of them, only then I bring them to the battles.
How do you get Faceless Man, Kraken Guards?
Do you mean you besiege Volantine castles and towns for fireborns???

Quote from: Arya on February 12, 2018, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: meldragon on February 05, 2018, 06:19:06 PM

How do you get Faceless Man, Kraken Guards?
Do you mean you besiege Volantine castles and towns for fireborns???

For Faceless Man u have to own Bravos,but they are expencive as hell
For Kraken Guards u have to own Pyke

As for the Fireborns... No, I don't besiege towns just to get them, but I besiege those towns only when there are some Red Priests, and of course U have to have large army to do this ;) rebelling with Blackfire can help with that.
Valar issi Targaryen.

In the latest version Elite NW Rangers are not so great. They are more of an infantry unit that carries a hunting bow. Not exactly the kind of unit you want to devastate an enemy line with arrow fire. And they are very expensive. Around 60 stags a week.

My favorite faction is Stormlands. Pack their infantry tight together in shield wall and no cavalry can penetrate them. They'll wreck every unit on the field. And I like their knights. I don't upgrade the knights to House troops as it's not really worth it for me. These troops carry blunt weapons so you will take more prisoners and more prisoners means more money and more money means better equipment for your companions and more troop upgrades. You can't go wrong with Stormland infantry and horse. I don't care much for their archers (if you can even call them that).

As for bows I don't really prefer the Riverlands. They don't get the longbow until the last tier and by then you are in for at least 2000 stags upgrade cost. For me I'd rather capture tiger cloak archers off of bandits and train them up. They get their war bow at tier 5 whereas Riverlands don't get it until 6. Until then it's a hunting bow and then a short bow. Meh.

But none of you mentioned the Lyseni archer or the Lyseni troops in general. Of all the factions they are the ones with the highest skills in the game. Their archers get the longbow by level 5 and have almost 300 skill. That's almost as good as Faceless men but at a fraction of the price. Their infantry is also pretty good. Good armor at top tier and they have curved swords. Curved. Swords!

Someone said the Reach had the best all around troops. I have to differ. Their knights are pretty well armored but their infantry is mediocre. Their archers have the longbow but their skill is low. They are good enough and cheap enough to man a wall but they are fodder in the field. If I catch 600 Reach units at a bridge I can destroy them easily with 200 Stormland troops and some Tiger Cloak Archers. The bridge just North of Riverlands is a good one. They also spawn on the other side and their archers are behind a little hill. They can't use them to shoot at my troops but I can position mine just fine. On the bridge their cavalry is dead meat.

I've not much experience with the Vale. I'm tempted to go try them out. From what I've seen though their archers aren't much to speak of and I don't think their top tier armor for other troops is that great.

I do like a good spear wall and the North has some good spears but Unsullied are much better. Lighter, faster, more skilled, with a throwing weapon and that damn Falchion. Many don't realize how effective a short weapon like that is in close combat. If I wasn't in love with the Dog Cudgel I'd have a falchion.

As for the Faceless Men they are very expensive. Prohibitively so. However, when you take Braavos you have an opportunity to capture quite a few of them. If you use Stormland troops to take the city you'll get a lot more Faceless men than if you troops from other factions. 

Consider taking Braavos and then capturing the Faceless Men and then just sacking the place and leaving. They'll make more Faceless men and you can come back later and get some more. I've not done this because I don't know what happens long term when you sack a city, but it's worth trying if you want a lot of really good troops for free.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview