Loader
logo

About the Dothraki

Started by Reek, May 06, 2019, 02:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'd like the dothraki to just charge straight on, But they are functioning the Khergit Khanates. They just circle the enemy and use bows until they are dead. Is there any way to change that? please?

Hi Reek...this topic interests me, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for.

It's been my experience in Native that the Khergits mostly charge directly into your army with a few stragglers riding around creating havoc.

This is not historically accurate how horse archers were employed.

In direct contrast, it's been my experience in the AWOIAF mod that the Dothraki mostly circle your army shooting arrows, with individual riders charging your soldiers.

This is pretty much how horse archers behaved historically (of course without the running out of arrows and suiciding into your army part).

So, in my experience, the Dothraki are definitely not functioning like the Khergits.

It's interesting to note that the defense to horse archers was probably most famously and successfully exemplified by King Richard during the 3rd Crusade...keeping your troops in tight formation and not chasing after horse archers you can't catch and separating yourself from the safety of the group.

However, until I'm sure what you're asking for, I can only add that a real problem here is that it is practically impossible to keep your troops in formation, as they always start chasing the Dothraki.

If morale is high enough, they should stay put where ordered.

For whatever it's worth, I would also prefer to see Dothraki charge en masse with arakhs, or at least tone down the horse speeds. Their current behavior as evasive horse archers causes me to avoid them at all costs, and not because they're challenging to fight - chasing down the stragglers simply takes forever and isn't fun.

So true. That is partly why I changed from lance to bow while attacking in the field. Armored horse has no chance of catching them, but arrows to their horse usually bring them down or at least slow them down.

Usually when the enemy retreats and gets to the end of the map, the dothraki gets stuck there for some reason. Its really annoying.

Quote from: Reek on May 11, 2019, 12:12:59 AM
Usually when the enemy retreats and gets to the end of the map, the dothraki gets stuck there for some reason. Its really annoying.

It happens on some maps for some reason, it happens sometimes when the map size in increased. Not entirely sure why though.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview