Loader
logo

Which sword is Lightbringer? Time to answer the question...

Started by Tages Grey, October 08, 2017, 07:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
We have all watched the series, quite a few of us have read the books, so here is the question, which sword is Lightbringer?

Now, this is where things get interesting what do we know of the original hero that defeated the armies of the Night King...
We know that:
A) All stories in the lore agree he was from the North. (Winterfell as a name of a castle indicates something even more important, this was the place the Night King was originally defeated, because WINTER FELL.)
B) We know from lore the hero makes Lightbringer through folding the metal over 100 days and thrusting it through the heart of his beloved, giving Lightbringer a soul.
C) We know the blade burned of an other worldly power, that did not burn the hero, but all others agree in lore burned hot and furiously in the hands of the hero sparking comments against Stannis's sword being the true Lightbringer.
D) Only one sword has massive importance in its fate....

My vote is Ice as Lightbringer this is why:
A) It is the only radically different sword from all other Valyrian swords, first it size would indicate a more intensive process in creation.
B) Why would you give it the name "Ice" referring to a temperature... This means something happened that it lost something that made it hot...perhaps the sword's soul stopped burning on the death of the original hero making it "Ice."
C) Tobo Moht has reforged numerous Valyrian steel swords, but all of a sudden when he makes "Widow's Wail" and "Oath Keeper" something goes drastically wrong in his process of dyeing the blade red as ordered by Tywiin Lannister.  Instead both blades maintain the primary coloration of "Ice," which only indicates that "Ice" is unique in away that no other weapon he has ever worked on.
D) Ice's pieces are being tracked actively in both the book and TV series.  They make a point of this...  With Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth both headed to the North the blade is running its course to be reassembled for the Prince that was promised.

Wow, at first I thought I thought it was going to be some garbage fanfi theory, but I gotta give you credit. Winterfell being named as it was is something I also considered for samed reasons, I think some fans have theorized on that one before as it's a simple, and logic assumption. Also worth noting that Winterfell's construction is attributed to Bran the builder (as is the Wall, and Storm's End), who is said to be the ancestor of house Stark.

That details about Moht reforging Ice into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper, and the problems he had with the process are something I've never seen being discussed. Tbh I don't have a clear view wether you're right or wrong about this, but at least it seems a more likely candidate than the other known valyrian steel blades.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

There is still of course the theory that it does not exist at all, that lightbringer is as false as Melissandres claims that Stannis is Azor Again reborn.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

Quote from: H3YimDR3W on October 08, 2017, 10:59:59 PM
There is still of course the theory that it does not exist at all, that lightbringer is as false as Melissandres claims that Stannis is Azor Again reborn.

Well shit man, I'll just stick with Old Nan's stories, they're my favourite ones anyway.
~Every good king needs two sisters by his side, a hot sister, and a dark sister~

Quote from: Montblanc on October 11, 2017, 03:13:13 AM
Quote from: H3YimDR3W on October 08, 2017, 10:59:59 PM

Well shit man, I'll just stick with Old Nan's stories, they're my favourite ones anyway.

Haha! I'll preach to that.
Got a question? PM me <A href="http://aworldoficeandfire.co.uk/Forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=41087">here.</a> (I am in no way affiliated with this mod's development.)

The ice that Ned Stark has is not the true ice. It is a remake of the original sword from thousands of years ago.

Quote from: Artorias on October 11, 2017, 12:37:24 PM
The ice that Ned Stark has is not the true ice. It is a remake of the original sword from thousands of years ago.

You got a quote/abstract to confirm this?

I think they are trying to quote something from Bran Stark which someone put on the TV show wiki, which is not an accurate quote.  The quote from Catelyn:

"She could see the rippling deep within the steel, where the metal had been folded back on itself a hundred times in the forging. Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North."  It does not mean it was not taken there to be reforged;)

The problem is, I forgot to get it. I opened the door to his dungeon, and then I passed the place where you get the sword. I obviously cant walk through him, so is there any way to get the sword?

Im sure many other Starks had mistresses, and bastard children; it may be only that Lonnel Snow was the only one acknowledged, or that he later became important. For example, we know Brandon Stark, brother of Eddard, had a relationship for some time with Barbrey Ryswell, but the lineage does not account for that because it bore no notable fruits.

However, the name "Wylla" surely seems to be a direct reference, as you said.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview